Thursday, September 23, 2010

back to writing

im trying to get back into writing again and i figured the best way for me to do that would be to start writing. someone once told me that when i find myself without something to write i simply need to lower my expectations. sounds simple enough.


The Things in my Coffee


I found it for a bit
reflecting off a porcelain plate,
a knife-blade smeared in cream.
I should have taken it
before it began to float,
spiraling to the bottom of my cup;
just one cold, dirty sip
in the search for warmth.

It was there (I'm certain it was there)
somewhere lost in a page I didn't read,
in words falling from my neighbor's mouth
pouring her burnt thoughts over the floor,
adding to the death, the stick of my shoes;
I should have swiped my finger under the chair
and tasted what still remained to taste.
I had it, I know I felt it in the room
staring at my face, hiding in the dust.

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard for me to make time for writing, but it is something I once loved. I have so many diaries from when I was growing up but I haven't written in one for about 5 years. I guess that's what blogging is for now!

    I like this poem, very descriptive.
    I'd love to see you do your Lord of the Dance impressions :)

    ReplyDelete