Friday, May 21, 2010

i am now a uw madison graduate

a new poem ive been working on...seems to flow with the dreamy style of some of my other poems. let me know what you think.


Through the Clouds and Into the Tornado

Coasting over snowy fields of a deceptive world,
I yearn again for the painful comforts of the earth
as my stripped form can no longer find warmth
buried within this barren space—blue is all I touch.
Lungs no longer satisfied with dreamy breezes
transiently flowing over my mouth and shoulders,
each piece of my body stops pumping as I fall
with broken wings into winds that bite at my skin.
I look down to see the impending clouds,
and a sharp bitterness cuts through my chest
as they cannot soften my journey with forgiveness
or reveal the divine on some fairytale mountaintop;
I am to be sent alone into the funnel of smoke.
Inhaling wispy seeds of recycled water and doubt
I slip through the white cushioned apparitions
and find myself saturated, a snowflake built on dust.

As dust begs the world to burn again
ashes swirl, eternally, around new life.

The tornado tears the land around my pale figure
and I am engulfed in a spiraling prison of night
while I reach for death in the twisting darkness;
my weak hands quickly split as they fill with dirt
and my palms bleed as I mold these particles
as a child packs snow, into a tight round ball.
-Is this what it feels like to believe?
I place my creation into the spiraling wind
as it circles up through the storm and is thrown
past the clouds, cast over the wispy blue space
and lost in the dream that I can never touch.

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS on graduating!!! How do you feel?!
    I felt so lost and sad, but also excitied and relieved to be done with classes!

    Do you have any future goals, dreams, etc.? I'm looking for guest bloggers (as you know!) so if you're interested, contact me via comment on my blog :)

    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean,
    A very evocative and strong piece of writing.
    I like it very much.

    Congratulations on your Graduation.

    Best wishes,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. all right, grad!

    you're a super hero with words. some strong, very nice imagery here.

    enjoy your summer!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete